Sunday, May 8, 2011

All Sorts of Mommies!

Even though I've changed a ton of diapers, wiped many a snotty nose, and refereed more sibling arguments over who's got the legos now than I care to remember, I will not pretend to know what it's like to have children of my own. And now let me take the time to give a shout out to the mothers out there: Happy, Happy Mother's Day to you! May a day of complete adoration be coming your way.

But this morning, at approximately 6:17, I got thinking about other kinds of mommies. Like, you know, pet mommies. We may not be cleaning up snotty noses (although some of us have), but I can guarantee we've cleaned up our share of pee and poop and given lots of cuddles along the way.

I'm not sure if I made a grand announcement of it but a few months ago, Baxter the Cat and I were reunited. Hooray! Although under somewhat stressful conditions, it all worked out and I was thrilled to get my baby back. Bax and I have been through a lot together and I definitely continue to feel badly for everything I've put him the old guy through: three different foster homes while I traveled, several unfriendly cat (and some dog) roommates, and a long drive out to NYC. Oh, and there was also that traumatic plane ride. Like a lot of mommies out there, I have my guilt issues.

But this morning, Baxter certainly gave it back to me. I woke up feeling a bit, um, moist. Considering that I have some pretty whacked out dreams that literally wake me up in a cold sweat, I assumed this was what had happened. But then I thought, wow, my back is really sweaty. That's odd. And then I noticed that my blankets were wet, too. And within seconds, I caught a whiff.

Pee. And let me be clear here, cat pee.

Never have I jumped out of bed at 6:17 in the morning like this. I tore off the covers and started patting my bed (which, of course, is the fun about pee issues. You get to feel it all out). Cursing under my breath, I couldn't believe my fantastic luck. After years of sleeping on beds handed down from family members, I finally purchased the first bed of my entire life just two months ago. Brand, spanking new.

To add insult to injury, just a few nights ago, I had whipped the mattress cover off, deeming it too lumpy and uncomfortable. The man's voice from the furniture voice went through my head: Can I suggest a mattress cover? These are especially great for any pet accidents. I held my head high and said, "My cat never, ever has those kind of accidents. No thank you."

And until this morning, he hadn't. Bax isn't even a typical pee-outside-the-box-cuz-I'm-mad-at-you cat. That's what makes Baxter so cool. He's atypical.

But as I poured Nature's Miracle (which by the way, is the most amazing stain remover ever and also goes under the name Petastic) over a third of my brand new bed, madder at myself than at him, I suddenly felt very scared.

Oh my God, is he sick? I wondered. Isn't this one of those typical first signs of a pet being terminally ill? All week, I had noticed that he was acting a bit strange. Clingy, actually, and I started having flashbacks to my nanny days when the little ones I cared for went through those very trying stages of wanting to physically attach to you at all times. Even though I do a lot of work from home, Bax has been my shadow. I can't pet him enough. I can't rub that belly enough. I can't offer my lap enough. All of this made me wonder, am I losing my baby?

Two hours later with the washer whirring, I can't say that the idea isn't out of my mind. However, after getting out of the shower, I noticed the litter box under the bathroom sink. Due to Baxter's ability to scatter cat litter like no one's business, I recently changed brands. Well, and also because I'm not a fan of the clay litter. When we lived in Brooklyn, I had made the switch to the pine pellet litter and it worked just fine. Plus I felt a lot better, knowing that I was using something that so much better for the environment.

So just last night, the old litter went out and the new stuff went in. Since Bax is a lot like his mama, running to the bathroom every five minutes, I should have noticed last night that he hadn't used it at all. And he still hasn't even after I locked him in there for ten minutes when I had my early dawn cat pee clean-up related tantrum. Apparently he's no longer used the pine and I need to adjust.

Now as I sip my coffee and wait for the pet supply store to open, Bax is sleeping across from me like a little angel on his favorite rocking chair. In a few minutes, I'll have to go down to change the laundry. I can't help but think about the many times I've changed crib sheets late at night or plunked kids directly in the bath tub due to those messes made. As un-fun as that all was, part of me smiles to think about it. Not only is there something so rewarding about taking care of others, I also learned that my abilities sometimes know no bounds. I'd always known that I was good with children but it wasn't until recent years that I realized the extent of my patience and joy when interacting with little ones. I guess this applies to my fuzzy little friends, too.

So many of us spend an exorbitant amount of time taking care of others. Mothers tend to be on some astronomical level where this is concerned. This is due to love, to instinct, and sometimes, sheer social expectations. But I hope that today, all of the mommies out there can do a little something special to take care of themselves. And I really, really hope none of you have to start your day cleaning up bodily fluids of any kind. Here's hoping!

Happy Mother's Day!





No comments: