Thursday, April 8, 2010

So Much for the Commitment to Vegetarianism

Okay, I sort of knew that this was bound to happen. Just like eating in Spain where every "garden" salad is topped with oil soaked tuna, I am finding it a bit difficult to avoid eating animals in Germany. They're everywhere!

Thin layers of salami are tucked into what initially appear to be simple cheese sandwiches. Hearty soups tend to get their heartiness from some sort of meat chunks. And then there's my very simple problem of enjoying a good tenderloin or chicken breast every now and then. I am not proud to admit this. As an animal lover and a green freak, turning 100% vegetarian is undoubtedly one of the best things I could do for the planet as well as for all animal-kind. And although my vegetarianism ways have typically been at the 90% mark, this past week alone must have tipped the scales back a good 30 points. Clearly, I am experiencing some problems with those little things we call convictions.

People tell me that if I want to get serious about being a card carrying Veg Head, I should watch horrifying documentaries such as Food, Inc.. But I simply can't bring myself to do it. Not yet. Last year, I reread one of my favorite books from my high school literature class, The Jungle and I must admit that after finishing it, I went quite some time without eating any meat products. But honestly, I don't need to read any more books or watch any more movies. Unless I know that the chicken or cow I am about to devour had a free ranging, hormone free life, I am not going to feel okay about it. And being aware of the ongoing devastation of our planet due to the pollution of livestock, I know that the very best thing for me to do is to become a vegan.

Yet for some unknown reason, I found myself laying in bed last night, googling "burgers in Berlin" and found this link. I remembered that an American friend told me about The Bird last fall. She said that they had the best burgers in town. On one hand, I was disgusted by the descriptions of their beef cuts. ("Flank steak is cut from the belly muscle." Belly muscle? Ugh.) On the other hand, the thought of diving into their Ghetto de Luxe alongside a plate of fries almost made my tummy rumble.

So what's a gal to do? Vegetarianism? Well, I can try. Veganism? For a girl from Wisconsin who just landed in the mother of all Dairy Lands, I'm not sure I can go that far. However, there is a platter of roasted veggies in the fridge calling my name. That, I can get behind. But can I avoid the seductiveness of The Bird forever? Maybe I can do without the big greasy burger. As long as I can have the cheesecake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off: Look for Neuland Fleisch. It's basically "free-range hormone free gen-tech free" meat. It's had a happy life, as long as I eat it in moderation i don't feel bad... the same goes for eating even normal meat in small small amounts.

Vegan I find to be pretty dumb though, again, I try and restrict my animal products to those that had a good life.

That said, you can get a vegetarian burger fix here: http://yellow-sunshine.de/

I went there with a friend from Austria and the burgers was DELICIOUS!!!!

Cheers,
Andrew

Rachael said...

Andrew, thanks for the decoding! I will definitely look for the "Neuland Fleisch" stickers. I mostly shop at the Bio shops so I assume I'm on the right track, no?

As for that Yellow Sunshine joint, my roomie JUST told me about that place! Burgers with no guilt AND cleaner arteries? Sign me up!