Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Oh, Milwaukee!

I know it's disgustingly egocentric of me but when I first came to Berlin, I must admit that I half-expected most Germans to know about the heavy concentration of German descendants in Wisconsin, especially Milwaukee. After the requisite questions about what I was doing in Berlin and where I had come from, I would wait for that spark of recognition, that special moment of camaraderie when my German acquaintance would exclaim, "Ahh, Wisconsin! Why, of course! We are practically blood!" and then s/he would embrace me, a symbol of solidarity (after, of course, we downed a liter of beer together).

Instead, I often get a polite stare in return.

Okay, okay so I no longer expect everyone in the world to know that Wisconsin is a microcosm of Germany, another land of cheese, beer, and brats. However, it's now become some sort of personal objective of mine to educate all Germans regarding this fact. Hence, I am always very excited to stumble upon any proof of the matter.

Well, the ole' Shepherd Express comes to the rescue once again! Of course, the headline immediately caught my eye: Milwaukee's Schwabenhof Keeps German Heritage. (Germans in Wisconsin! Germans in Wisconsin! You can practically hear my sing songy-ness, can't you?) I especially enjoyed the bit about the Friday fish fry, an apparently popular German Catholic tradition, although those of us born and raised in the north woods will take lake perch over cod any day.

Anyway, I am always pleased to hear about German descendants embracing their culture and I am ever so happy to pass it on. Maybe it makes me feel like less of a nut, trying desperately (as cheesy as it sounds) to get in touch with my roots? Then again, reading this article has reminded me that I have much more to to do in order to touch those roots. I mean, I've never had a potato pancake in my life. I can hear you gasp now but rest assured. This can be easily solved. I think.

Err, who's taking me out?

No comments: