Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Let's Settle This Once and For All

No, it is not loud here.

This is the very first question out of everyone's mouth when I tell them where I live. Every, single time.

In fact, I wouldn't even classify this area as kinda loud. Busy? Yes, in a steady stream-of-traffic-and-occasional-siren kind of way. However, I've been sleeping like a happy, little baby at night, no problem. I'm not yelling out my bedroom window to PLEASE KEEP IT DOWN OVER THERE nor am I praying that the dog next door will PLEASE STOP BARKING FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! My thoughts are not interrupted every six seconds due to a car alarm that no one is overly concerned about nor am I jolted by the piercing laughter of a pack of giddy, teenage girls on the street.

See, I just moved here from Brooklyn. I had most recently lived in a neighborhood that I loved in many ways but was not exactly known to be the symbol of tranquility. Really, it was more the symbol of ear splitting sound systems. I realize for Berlin, this part of Kreuzberg might be considered a a somewhat lively neighborhood and maybe come summer, I will be eating my words. However, compared to what I am used to, I feel like I'm in a monastery. A monastery that most definitely does not loop distorted bass lines at the most inopportune times.

So I'm not gonna complain. In fact, maybe I'll meditate instead. God knows I've got a few good hours before the next car horn interrupts my thoughts.

No comments: