Sunday, December 6, 2009

Stupid American #2


No, this isn't a plate of gigantic rabbit turds. And for future reference, I probably won't ever feel the need to capture an image of poo on film. (Then again, there was that time when my buddy, Dawn, and I were trying to track the paths of bears in Yellowstone and were taking note of the evidence along the way. But anyway...)

It's a plate of prunes. Like a 78-year-old woman, I love prunes. Really. So when I was wandering around the Turkish market the other day and saw bins of them, I ponied on up to get me a little sack of them. Problem is these Europeans and their incessant use of grams! Damn! The prunes were being sold by quantities of one hundred and even though I know I am slightly cognitively delayed when it comes to the metric system, my mind immediately pictured 100 grams = 100 prunes. For two euros?!? Sure!

Instead, this is what I came home with. Stupid, stupid American. Maybe it's time to go home after all?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just have to adapt... or maybe we canadians have a smaller jump...

medcine/drinks = metric (grams/mililitres)
Foodstuffs: pounds, or in higher amounts... kilograms (after 50 pounds).
Weight: pounds
Distance: milimetres, inches, feet, kilometres.

Halfway there, but twice as confused.

Rachael said...

Canada, you've most certainly confused the shit out of me!

Anonymous said...

There is really only one thing I can consistently measure in grams, but I left that lifestyle decades ago! ;)