Sunday, December 6, 2009

Finally...Getting My German Eats On!

I'm sure that there are tons of wonderful, authentic German restaurants in town. However, I have somehow managed to avoid all of them until this week. I'm not sure what my problem has been since I adore trying new foods. I think a teeny part of me has been scared of getting into a situation where I am catapulted back to the days of almost crying at the kitchen table because I don't want to eat the blood sausage my grandparents have prepared. I can still remember that smell. Ugh. My stomach just flipped and not in a good way.

However, a few nights ago, a Berliner friend of mine insisted that I come over for an authentic German meal. Her husband is from the south and cooked an amazing spaetzle made with typical Bavarian mountain cheeses and onions. (I would have taken a picture of it except that like everything else technologically related, my camera has now gone on the fritz, too). Needless to say, after wine, salad, spaetzle, cookies, and coffee, I rolled my happy self home.

And now I have friends from the UK visiting. They have never been to Berlin before so of course, I am now on a mission to show them a fat, sausagy German time. Last night, we had an absolutely lovely meal at Max und Moritz in Kreuzberg. Wow.

As I've mentioned in the past, I eat a mostly vegetarian diet. However, I quickly threw that lifestyle to the wayside, stuffing myself with sausages, meatballs, and some sort of beef fillet alongside dumplings and potatoes. In addition to the marvelous food, the atmosphere was so very warm and cozy. We sat at a candlelit table in what seemed to be a grand ballroom, complete with a baby grand and a Christmas tree. A bit of wine, a bit of whiskey and we had finally convinced ourselves to head back into the rain.

Now we are greeted with another rainy day. However, I was reminded that today is St. Nick's. Apparently, we are going to celebrate this by cooking a typical British dinner tonight. All I know is that we have red cabbage, apples, and a Christmas pudding sitting on my kitchen counter at the moment. Have I mentioned that my "cleanse" did result in a three pound weight loss? Hmmm...I think I can say hello to my friend, the kilo, again very soon. Oh well, there are worse things, right?

No comments: