Thursday, September 9, 2010

Not a Bad Way to Start the Day


A little while ago, my alarm clock began its incessant buzzing and I eventually managed to pry myself out of my warm, cozy bed to start the day. I went to the window, drew back the curtains, and sucked in my breath when hit with this view. I mean, if this is any preview of what my autumn days are going to be like, I'm totally, 100% up for it.

And as I stared at that warm light, my brain decided to hold a mini mental session of all that's good in my life right now. I read somewhere a few years back that it's helpful to sit down at the end of every day and write down three things for which you are grateful. This could be your mate or a helpful coworker but it could also be related to things you have accomplished like those five extra minutes on the treadmill. Or the supportive shoulder you were able to lend a friend. Or the clean water that is accessible to you on a daily basis. Or maybe you just need to give yourself credit for the expected and mundane because oftentimes, these are the most challenging. For example, maybe tonight I will be grateful that I got an article in on deadline (ahem). Being appreciative of every day accomplishments does wonders for the psyche.

But if I had been journaling Monday night, it would not have been about the ordinary. (This is what went through my mind in front of the window this morning.) Instead, I would have made a list of what made my three day weekend so amazing. Things like:

- Reconnected with fantastic, inspiring old friends.
- Met more wonderful people, establishing new, exciting friendships.
- Set relaxed pace and fully enjoyed my time rather than rushing around trying to see each and every single friend of mine.
- Took in more of Wisconsin and felt a true appreciation for all it has to offer.
- Managed to avoid Alterra when laptop stealing gunman chose to visit. (Okay, I probably shouldn't joke about that one.)

And as always:
- I'm healthy, loved, and loving.

Hmm, maybe it's okay to start the day with all you are grateful for, too.

No comments: