Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Eating My Way Through the Peninsula


The other day, I convinced a couple of my aunties along with my mom and one of my sisters to spend the day in Door County with me. It had been at least a decade since my last visit and with the smell of autumn in the air, it seemed like perfect timing. For you non-Wisconsinites, Door County is basically the thumb of our cute little mitten state filled with all sorts of darling shops, quaint B&B's, and a whole lot of Chicago folk we are trying our best to send back home.

I wanted to relive old childhood memories so I suggested beginning the day with a good ole' Swedish breakfast of paper thin pancakes at Al Johnson's in Sister Bay. Plus, who doesn't want to see goats on the roof of your eating establishment? This was followed by some boutique shopping which then led to the good kind of shopping: the purchasing of baked goods. My aunt convinced us to go to this Seaquist place up the road and it was indeed amazing. As one gentleman patiently cut up a variety of apples for customers to try (I'm still a fan of the Honeycrisp and the Golden Ginger), our little group purchased a stockpile of cherry pies and apple cider doughnuts. God forbid there be a shortage of pie in anyone's house this fall.

A few hours later, we found ourselves in Ephraim and well, we just had to stop at Wilson's for some old-fashioned ice cream. Although I was quite certain I wasn't hungry, I still found myself licking off of everyone else's cones. Butter pecan? Sneakers? Cherry chocolate? Yes, yes, and yes! And I was ever so pleased to find that they still put a jelly bean at the bottom of their cones at Wilson's. Aww, thanks for the memories.

Then we were off to Fish Creek where we hit a few more shops and downed some coffee as the sun went down. Although we had enjoyed a perfect, sunny fall day, the setting sun along with the chill of the lake urged us to get in the car and head home.

By the time we reached Green Bay, the ice cream and pancakes had completely worn off and someone mentioned burgers. Now, I'm not much of a meat eater anymore but I can't tell you how much I crave a burger now and then. Since we were in Green Bay, there really was no discussion as to where we would go for dinner. I soon found myself driving to Kroll's across from Lambeau Field where we indulged in butter burgers and fried cheese curd. (Had we not had ice cream just a few hours before, I'm certain there would have been accompanying chocolate malts. But apparently even we have our limits)

By the time we got home that night, I had done a mental calculation of everything I had ingested and realized that it was time for some sort of cleansing tea. I also realized I could never, ever, EVER be vegan. Butter? Cheese? And ice cream? Who am I to return to the Dairy State and not partake? I would never be so insulting. Nah, I'd much rather celebrate you, Wisconsin. I raise my curd to you. Cheers!

No comments: