Thursday, March 11, 2010

I Guess Stranger Things Have Happened

I had a very surreal moment yesterday as I walked into a Starbucks near Penn Station and spotted two familiar faces, huddled in a corner. After much texting and confusion, these two friends and I had agreed to meet on this particularly gloriously warm day on 35th and 7th Avenue. Doesn't seem too strange, does it? Not under normal circumstances. However, these two are from my Berlin posse (one German, one American) and there I was, sitting across from them, lattes a plenty. What's even stranger is that I will be living with the German in exactly 18 days. As we chatted about the harsh Berlin (and NYC) winter, how to exchange keys, and where in Chinatown we could go for the best dumplings, I couldn't help but think, Shouldn't we be heading out to Cassiopeia or drinking Glühwein right about now? What in the world is going on?!?

It's all so strange. When I had met these two, they both coincidentally had these trips to NYC already planned. And of course, I eagerly offered to meet up with them once they arrived. However, as great as it is that they are here, I feel like I'm in some chronic hallucinatory state. Every time we step on the subway or dip into our pockets for cash, I stop myself from asking things like, Shouldn't we be discussing which strasse we are headed to? Do we need the U-Bahn or the S-Bahn to get there? Where are my euros anyway? And more importantly, where's my kuchen?!?

Aside from feeling slightly mentally ill, seeing them and talking to them about Berlin has done me good. As we've talked about things we used to do and what we will be doing in the coming summer, I've gotten so revved up about Germany again that my feelings have started to balance again. Earlier this week, I could only feel sadness about leaving Baxter the Cat and of course, all of my family and friends, too. But now, I'm galvanized again. There is an adventure ahead and God knows, this girl likes her adventuring.

Eighteen days? Lots to do til then but suddenly it doesn't seem so daunting. I'll be ready, I think. I even have friends over there waiting for me. And that feels pretty good.

No comments: