Saturday, March 27, 2010

414-less

As I try to decide what to take with me to Berlin for the next several months, I am continually thinking of passages from Eckart Tolle's book, A New Earth. One of the things that this book drilled into my head was the superfluousness of material things. Okay, well, duh, right? Of course, we all know that things are not important but it's easy to get wrapped up in what we think we need. I am not the kind of person who drags my entire wardrobe with me any time I go somewhere (I am the queen of carry-on luggage only for four day weekends away); however, I do get stuck on the other stuff. Framed photos, cool jewelry from my grandmother, sweet letters...these are the things I have a hard time parting with, even if it's only for a few months. Yet, I am constantly thinking of the passage in Tolle's book when he addresses a woman's mourning over the theft of her wedding ring. I mean, at the end of the day, how important is a stone, right?

But I get it. It wouldn't be about the expense of such a piece of jewelry. It would be about the emotions attached to it. This makes sense to me. Yet, I am strangely sentimental about things that most of the population probably doesn't think twice about. I can still remember feeling sad when my parent's sold the first car I had ever known. And I'm having a terrible time not packing up silly things like that random ticket stub that always conjures up a funny memory, bringing a smile to my face.

So I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I also feel an odd sadness to something I've had to part with in the last 24 hours: my phone number. Yesterday, per my request, my phone service was shut off. For good. Unlike last fall, when my account was on hold, there is no going back to the old 414 number I've had for the past eight years. When I moved to New York a few years ago, I thought about changing my number to a NYC based one but then I thought, Why? I also became fiercely proud of my number any time I doled it out to a new friend who would look at me quizzically as I recited the "414." I became almost downright smug as I'd announce, "Yeah, that's right, it's Milwaukee."

But I guess a phone number is just a phone number. Besides, letting it go is sort of a push to ensure that I move ahead with my new endeavor. Of course, I could fall flat in my face and be back in the states three months from now. But at least I can say I tried and that's all I really ask of myself right now.

No comments: