Sunday, February 14, 2010

This Year, There Will be Chatting AND Chewing

I don't remember a thing about last year's Valentine's Day but I quite clearly remember V-Day 2008. I was sitting solo at the bar of the Chat 'n' Chew off of Union Square, staring at my suitcase while lazily working on a bowl of chili and a bottle of beer. I was surprisingly not heartbroken, despite having a boyfriend who was not there to celebrate the stupid Hallmark holiday with me. We were not speaking and I was used to it. I, instead, booked a flight to Wisconsin rather last minute, to surprise my mother for her birthday.

The Chat 'n' Chew was probably one of the best places I could have been on Love Day. Dineresque with a hipster flare, there were no nuzzling couples to cloud my vision. Instead, I stared at the fantastic variety of lovely, layered cakes as wait staff called to the overworked bartender/cake server (?) every few seconds, it seemed. "Carrot!" "Red Velvet!" "Oreo!" Oh Jesus...can I just skim a bit off of all three?

After checking my phone a few times to see if Stupid Boy had put his pride aside and had at least texted me a sweet something (he hadn't), I shrugged, paid my bill and swallowed the last bit of my Heineken. I smiled at the thought of surprising my mother the next morning with a bow on my head. (And yes, I did do that). I felt very little sadness about my solo Valentine's Day and the lack of sentiment from the boy. I felt hardly anything at all actually. He was just pushing me in the right direction. Further and further away. And I knew it was just the push I needed. I smiled at the bartender/cake server and left him a fat tip in hopes that he would be taking his girl out that night and treating her right.

This Valentine's Day, I will not be alone. And I won't be running off to anywhere either. Ill be staying right here in NYC. Maybe I'll even bring my date to the Chat 'n' Chew. This time, we'll share a few laughs as well as a slice of gluttony. Better than being a glutton for punishment.

No comments: