Sunday, February 28, 2010

Bei Mir Bist Du Schön Means That You're Grand

Why can't all language instruction be packaged in the form of fun, swinging music that makes you want to go to a speakeasy and dance the night away with some handsome GI anyway?

So I am ashamed to admit that despite the upcoming move to Berlin, I haven't studied German whatsoever unless you count the fragments from my Rick Steves phrase book that I hurled out to Jack's mom last fall in a completely exaggerated (and probably somewhat offensive) sounding accent. (And there is something very hilarious to me about prefacing every phrase with a very loud, obnoxious ACHTUNG!)

Anyway, I've been listening to some German language tracks ever once in a while to make myself feel like I'm at least trying a little bit. Unfortunately, though, they sometimes cause me to burst into laughter in the middle of an otherwise silent morning commute.

My favorite track thus far has been the one about food. In general, they say the phrase in German, wait for you to say it back, and then translate it to English. So as I was learning the German words for milk, bread, cheese, I was thinking, Yes, yes, this is all good, useful information, things that I assume are indicative of cultural norms. And then the woman on the CD suddenly burst out with:

"Asparagus with ham."

??

Really? This is one of the first, most essential phrases of the German language I'll need to get around? I think I'll stick to the swinging sounds of the 30s. I prefer words that are to be delivered with bright eyes and red lips anyway.

I could say bella, bella, even say wunderbar.
Each language only tells me how grand you are.

I've tried to explain Bei Mir Bist Du Schön.
So kiss me and say you understand...

Much more appealing than discussing vegetables and pork products, wouldn't you say?

No comments: