Saturday, February 6, 2010

And the Results...

So I finished my five day cleanse. Well, it was more like a 3.75 day long cleanse but good enough. As I reported in my last post, there were a few cheats. Yes, there was dried fruit and coffee but it was barely worth counting (so I won't). And I would've lasted until dinner Friday night had I not been seduced by Rioja and a delicious minty mojito Thursday night. (But seriously, what is a girl to do when a cute boy asks her out for drinks on the fly? Say, "No, I'm cleansing"?!) Me thinks not. I'm just proud that I didn't partake in all of the lovely tapas he ordered.

Anyway, on Friday, I went back to the ole' routine until dinner at 9 o'clock. I can't say I had a salad as I had intended but I ordered a vegan black bean burger instead. Impressed? Well, don't be because that lovely burger sat next to a nice helping of sweet potato fries that I promptly inhaled. Along with a pale ale. Or two.

Okay, so it wasn't complete success but I've got to say, it was enough of a change that like my past cleanses, I felt much better throughout the entire week. Very little fatigue and a loosening of the pants. Not bad. Funny though, that after just a few days of cleansing, those two drinks on Thursday night made me feel like total crap the following morning. I'm a fan of all things in moderation but I find it mighty interesting that just a tiny wander off course could lead to me feeling so badly. So what do I take away from all of this?

I continue to believe that gluten and/or sugar are my biggest problems. I believe that if I stick to a veggie/protein/rice based lunch (and no sweets to follow), I'll be much more likely to get through the afternoon slump. I also have been reminded that as much as I enjoy sugar, I can get through the cravings. I can make some tea, stick a mint in my mouth, or immerse myself in my work. It really is about getting through a few tough moments but it does usually subside.

I've also been reminded how truly difficult it is, logistically, to eat in a healthy manner. How much easier is it to grab a bagel than to try to eat your steamed veggies and lentil soup on the train? But regardless, I'm going to do my best to stick to these guidelines as closely as possible. Between nannying, writing gigs, making Berlin arrangements, and catching up with as many friends as possible in the next two months, I need my energy more than ever.

Pass the broccoli.

No comments: