Friday, October 9, 2009

The Waffle Didn't Last Long Enough to Photograph...


My new German friend invited me out for coffee at the KaufBar in charming Friedrichshain (which I cannot appropriately say to save my life), the family friendly, yet Bohemian cool neighborhood in the former east. My first impression of Friedrichshain is that this is where the former singletons from Kreuzberg move to after they find themselves married and preggers (but still hip and cool). I have no idea if this is at all accurate but it's the vibe I got.

Anyway, dying for a decent cup of coffee, I ordered what seemed to be an Americano while my friend got this lovely foamy I-don't-know-what but it came in a big glass and made me want to immediately shove an almond biscotti into it. Casually perusing the menu as I wasn't really that hungry, I was quickly reminded that when it comes to sweets, I can always find room. I suddenly found myself ordering a waffle with a plume marmalade (apparently quite typical). It came smallish (in comparison with the American version of a gigantoid Belgian waffle) and light and I enjoyed every bite of it.

Besides, who needs a candelit dinner when you can have candles, coffee, waffles, and a lovely conversation with a new friend at noon on Tuesday?

Perfect, I tell you.

4 comments:

That Girl said...

I envy you. Your description of your friend's frothy beverage and biscotti has me putting on my shoes and running out to the cafe down the block! Darn you, Nightway!

Angela said...

That sounds like Milchkaffee (coffee with milk) that Germans really enjoy. Freedrickshighn :D Not sure if that is at all helpful for pronunciation purposes, but it is a tricky one for English speakers!

Rachael said...

That Girl, you must order a Milchkaffee then! Angela, thanks for the pronunciation guide. That *does* help!

Anonymous said...

You aren't coming home, are you? Woo hoo! Keep the posts coming - we are now living vicariously through you!! Oh, FYI, snow in the forecast this weekend.