Sunday, October 18, 2009

Give Me My Internet or Give Me Death!

Sorry for the lack of posts, friends. I was without the internet for about twenty hours and if felt like my life stood still.

Yes, like when I first arrived, we are having problems again. We seem to be the proud parents of a very temperamental internet connection. However, unlike two weeks ago, this time Jack's mom got to freak out with me.

We unplugged, replugged, blew dust out of every crevice we could find, sent a panicked message to the dude we are subletting from, called German friends begging for help, and finally contemplated buying a bottle of gin and drinking our sorrows away. We were at a complete loss. No cell phones. No email. No skype. Even though we have a land phone line, most of the phone numbers of my German friends are saved in my google account. (Making mental note to copy down on paper momentarily...)

Of course, either one of us could have walked two blocks to the local internet cafe but we were too damn mad to do it. We are supposed to have a wireless connection here! Technology must not fail us! Ever!

After a good two hours of ranting and raving about how unfair life is, we decided that we needed to just ignore the problem for the rest of the night before insanity ensued. I mean, there is a baby involved.

The night ended with her going to bed at nine o'clock because she didn't know what else to do with herself and me, heading out to dance the night away.

Today, we woke up praying to find the green light blinking at us, a "Hey! I'm ready for you again!" message but alas, nothing. Jack's mom received a phone call back from a German friend who gave us some information about the local internet service provider. We both ended up talking to the English speaking (THANK CHRIST!) German representative who spoke to us so politely and so patiently that I could only envision him sitting behind his desk with a pair of wings attached and a halo looming over his headset. He was able to register both of our laptops so that we could at least connect via the ethernet cable. He told us the router was shot.

After we got off the phone, we sat stared at one another from across the coffee table, she with her Mac and me with my PC.

"I guess we're gonna have to make appointments to use the internet," she half joked as I tried to compute how difficult this would be for two individuals who both desperately rely on an internet connection on an hourly basis.

As I held my head in my hands, she started to laugh. I looked up to find a quizzical expression on her face. "Oh my god," she said. "I have a wireless connection."

"Don't tease me!" I screeched, grabbing my laptop. Sure enough. Suddenly, we were both reconnected.

"How? Wait...what?" I could only sputter.

And then like kids on Christmas morning, we giddily opened up email accounts, checked Facebook, and continued life as know it. I feel like a real human again, a person who can communicate with the outside world. I can even blog again.

Wow, absolutely pathetic, huh? Yes, I know. Funny thing, though, is that with just twenty four hours away from the internet, I have a shitload of emails to catch up on, skype calls to make, plane tickets to book...I really do rely on the internet so much to complete every day, normal tasks. It's absolutely terrifying when it's suddenly gone.

However, it also reminds you of the fun and amusement you can connect to without a cable of any sort. Speaking of, I hear a little person babbling to his mama in the other room. I think I might have to go play with his drooly self for a bit.

Later, folks (I hope). Pray to the Gods of Technology for me!




No comments: