Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Did I Seriously Just Come Home With Salami?

Why, yes, yes, I did and no, this is not some dirty euphemism related to my previous post!

I felt compelled. I cannot even explain it. I eat meat at home once in a very blue moon. Yet, in the supermarket today, I was overwhelmed by the endless sausage links, the wurst, the 600 kinds of pastramis and salamis and suddenly, I was transported to the family gatherings of my childhood in Wisconsin, listening to the adults chat while I constructed delightful little trios of cheddar, salami, and Ritz crackers.

And suddenly, I needed to have that (okay, I have no idea where/if I can find Ritz crackers in Berlin so I found a lame replacement but whatever...). When I got home, I ripped open the packages and immediately built a little plate of heaven. And as I leaned over the counter, savoring the goodness, I got to pretend that I was in Grandma Gertie's kitchen again, drinking cherry pop while Grandpa rolled dice and everyone screamed with laughter.

Now, if only my Uncle Tom were around to mix me up a Seven and Seven, the night would be complete.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm jealous of your sausage!