Monday, September 28, 2009

So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Good Night...

All right, folks. It's ON!

I've been popping the Vitamin C and now have a portable high chair squashed in my suitcase. I am going to fight this cold and apparently act like I have a baby.

Per the advice of Mr. Orthopedic Doctor Man, Jack's mom is going to have to forgo what could be a hellacious flight with baby, stay in NYC for a few more weeks, and do some major physical therapy. Jack and Mommy are now scheduled to arrive in Berlin on October 14th. In the meantime, I am bringing some of their stuff along with me. Of course, I feel terrible about the circumstances and I am totally bummed that Jack's mom (who has become a good friend of mine) has to delay everything but...

People...out of nowhere, for the first time in ages, I have been given the opportunity to sit on my ass for two weeks. Like a real VACATION?? I get to write in cafes while munching on delicious cakes, have beers and interesting conversations with new friends, and maybe even fly down to visit my old host family and dance til dawn in Madrid. Weeeeeee!

A surprise vacation. Who knew?

So I continue to pack and repack and find other things I need to do before 7pm tomorrow night. In the midst of these practical things, I'm heading into that surreal mode...do you know what I'm talking about? It's always a strange feeling to know that in less than 24 hours, your whole world is going to completely change. An unfamiliar language, strange foods, a new culture of behaviors and communication. And all of your senses become highly tuned into your surroundings as you try to maneuver yourself as smoothly as possible, hoping that your disposition does not scream, "I'M A FOREIGNER AND DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING! TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ME NOW!"

But luckily for me, excitement always trumps stress. I become giddy, thinking about all of the new places I will explore, people I will meet. And then,once I get there, the really dangerous part kicks in...I fall in love with the city. I want to stay longer and absorb it. (Hello, Madrid and New York!)

But I am getting ahead of myself. I first have to focus on getting a good night's sleep, doing my laundry first thing in the morning, finish packing this monster suitcase, and then getting through nine hours of flying (with or without the aid of Benadryl).

You may not hear from me for a few days. Assume that I am in the midst of trying to figure out an internet connection and where to buy nutella.

Wish me luck. Gute nacht.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Aw...reading this makes me miss you even though you're already gone!