Thursday, September 17, 2009

SO FREAKING EXCITED!!!!!!!!!

Less than two weeks!

After weeks of cramming in doctor's appointments, trips to Target, and actual work, I finally got myself to the the bookstore. (Ridic, I know!) In my hot little hands, I now hold a Berlin guidebook, a street map, and a Rick Steves' German Phrase Book and Dictionary. Oh man...I'm just realizing that my adoration for Rick Steves could lead to an entire post dedicated to his awesomeness. But I will not do that to my dear, sweet readers (unless you wanted me to...) Okay, okay...focusing now.


So yesterday morning, while I shoved bread smothered in butter into the baby's mouth (a good practice run for Germany), his mom and I guzzled coffee and chatted about trip stuff. We got all revved up, talking about our future apartment (adorable!), the bike rides throughout the city (it seems as though every German "cycles" everywhere), THE FOOD, the crazy nightlife (okay, that's probably more for me than her), and the relative cheapness of it all. I mean, the Berlin apartment appears to be bigger than my current place and is about $600 cheaper. And no, we're not gonna be in the middle of nowhere. In fact, we'll be in the lovely old city centre of the former West. The very gay west, I've been told. In fact, I've just been schooled in Cabaret, I am ashamed to admit. Apparently, my life is about to become a Cabaret.


Anyway, here comes a stream of consciousness list of why for me, living in Berlin is going to be so completely kick ass:

1) Artists abound. I've been getting responses to my ad on Craigslist from some awesome sounding people. Writers, painters, students...yep, that's kind of what Berlin is all about these days. Paris and London got to be too expensive for the bohemian types and now eastern cities like Prague and Berlin reign as Europe's artsy hot spots.

2) The Kit Kat Club. Again, my musical theatre education has clearly been lacking. Apparently, the Kit Kat Club was the name of the burlesque theatre in Cabaret. Now, it's a ridiculous fetish, anything goes club. I mustn't forget to pack my electric blue wig. And now caps will ensue for my mother's sake: KIDDING!

3) It's diverse enough that I don't have to kill myself, trying to learn the language. Thank God because like a good little American, I can only say "hello" and "a beer, please". I'm shamefully serious.

4) Although obviously heartbreaking, the city's history is mesmerizing. Someone pointed out that our apartment will be in close proximity to the former Gestapo Headquarters. Umm, creepy. But of course, being the WWII nerd I am, I will totally go there and let myself be simultaneously intrigued and creeped out by it all.

5) Come November 9th, Berliners will be celebrating the 20th year since the fall of the wall, Unbelievable. I still remember sitting at the dinner table, (probably over some meat and potatoes) watching that coverage via Dan Rather. The fact that a wall actually stood as a physical barrier between people (in my lifetime!) never ceases to boggle my mind.

6) It's the homeland. Some of my ancestors came from Mecklenberg (just north of Berlin) while the rest came from Bavaria or the Netherlands. As corny as it sounds, I am truly excited to go HOME.


And finally...

7) My beer tolerance really has been slipping. Looks like my timing is impeccable.

No comments: