Saturday, September 26, 2009

Scheisse!!!!

I am never, ever, ever, ever, EVER riding a bike in New York City!!

I'm sorry. I know that accidents happen all the time. (A bike riding NYC friend of mine recently informed me that more people get hit walking down the street than on bikes). However, so many people I know have gotten hit on their bikes that I refuse to take the chance. It makes me sad, too because I've really been trying to psych myself up to purchase one. Clearly, from an environmental standpoint, it's the best transportation choice. Plus, exercising while transporting oneself? How efficient! However, considering all the gashes, bruises, and broken bones I've been hearing about combined with my general clumsiness, I just can't take the risk.

Plus, it's messing with my trip to Berlin, dammit!

Two days ago, the mom of little Jack contacted me to inform me that she was sitting in the ER, waiting for x-ray results. She had been "doored" by a tourist getting out of a cab. She flew over the car door and smashed head first into a parked car. The paramedics could only tell her how lucky she was and went on to recount all sorts of grisly stories that involved faces half gone and limbs dangling by a string. (!!!!!!) However, the fact remains that she has two useless arms: one is badly bruised and the other is in a sling due to a fractured elbow. May I remind you that she is supposed to be on a trans-Atlantic flight with her baby in four days? Alone? (I had to book on a separate flight).

We spent all of yesterday trying to brainstorm how to best deal with the situation. How will she change him? Soothe him? Maneuver with him in general? Maneuver the bags? Do I check all their bags so she only has to deal with him? Do I take him on my flight? (Yikes!) Does she postpone the trip altogether til she can heal up while I go ahead and set our apartment up?

Friends, I am a high strung person in general. I was already keyed up about everything I needed to accomplish this weekend. (I am minutes from leaving to go to the dentist, the store, the bank, the laundromat, blah, blah, blah...) but I am pretty much approaching the hyperventilating level at this point.

Luckily, my awesome new friends in Berlin are doing their best to help us find some back up child care. THANK YOU!

But still, wish us luck. We have lots, beyond where we're going to get our first Currywurst, to figure out in the next 72 hours. Eeek!

3 comments:

Brian Fairbanks said...

Damn, that's a dilemma. No way should you take the baby on your flight, though. You don't want to have to deal with that across an ocean.

As for the bikes-- I'm guessing the reason more people get hit walking than riding is because there are more walkers than bikers. What, like, 500 to 1? That would explain that.

soeren said...

my new fave English word is now "doored", apart from bod

Kathleen Connors said...

Holy Crap!! I don't blame you for starting to freak out. Hopefully everything will resolve itself. Let us know what happens!

In Madison, a biking friendly mecca, they finally passed a new law so that if you are "doored" you don't end up with a ticket. (Yes, thats right, the biker used to get the ticket. Talk about adding insult to injury!)