Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Oh, and I Guess the Packers Won

While the vast majority of Wisconsin citizens stayed inside Sunday afternoon, glued to the Packer game, two very non-fanatical (and yet still Wisconsin dwelling!) ladies decided to hit the road and do a little shopping in Milwaukee. The idea was to explore the Third Ward, the community of warehouse condos and fun little boutiques which sits just south of Milwaukee's downtown district.

But apparently, even the owners of those cute little boutiques were Cheeseheads, too. Almost everywhere we went, we were greeted with signs that said, "Closed for Packer/Bear Game" or "Re-Opening Monday. Go Pack, Go!"

Seriously?

However, maybe it was our good fortunate because we finally ended up at Retique, which immediately turned into one of my new favorite thrift stores. Now I love secondhand stores in all of their many cramped, musty, fluorescent lit forms but I must admit that it was nice to not emerge smelling like a secondhand store. Retique is quite lovely actually. Like most of the Third Ward establishments, it is spacious with hardwood floors and high ceilings. And of course, I was thrilled to learn that it was a Goodwill affiliated store and that a percentage of proceeds would go back into Goodwill programming.

However, more than anything, I was just happy to recycle clothing rather than buy something new that wreaked further havoc on our planet. Don't get me wrong, I know we all need to get new clothes from time to time but buying secondhand (especially from a charitable organization) is, in my opinion, one of the most earth conscientious, do-gooder steps you can take in your daily life. I mean, just look!

Plus, can I just tell you about the hell that has been Rachael's Jean Shopping Experience? The Gap has been my ultimate enemy as of late. Yet, when I grabbed a pair of their Curvy Boot Cut jeans from the thrift store the other day, all nicely worn, those exact pants I had tried on just a few days ago new in the store, suddenly fit me like a glove. Oh, and perhaps I should mention that I paid a whopping three dollars for them.

Overall, I must say that the favored items of my wardrobe are fun finds from thrift stores: unusual purses, vintage skirts, awesome jewelry. Basically all the things that make people say, "Wow, that's so cool, where did you get that?" are the things that came straight out of a bin at St. Vinny's. And it's not just my luck. During a recent thrift shopping excursion, my sister came away with an awesome, antique looking brass mirror that Pottery Barn will no doubt try to replicate for a few hundred bucks.

So if you haven't already, think about checking out your local Salvation Army, Goodwill, or any other little secondhand store in your community. Your wallet will most certainly feel it and if Mother Earth could do it, she'd probably give you a little smooch of appreciation.

Also, check to see if your community has opened their own ReThreads yet. Word on the street is that they are spreading to a town near you...

No comments: