Monday, January 31, 2011

For the Love of God, Drink Water!


It's not typically in the midst of snowstorms and chronic red cheeks that we think about the need to push fluids. No, it's usually 90 some degrees when those in the medical field along with our local meteorologists so kindly remind us to drink, drink, drink. However, the winter can be dangerous, too. I know for me, I crave water much more during the cold, dry weather. And let's not forget that the harsh winter is prime flu season, both the achy, feverish junk as well as the bathroom running kind.

And for that reason, I have had the recent unfortunate experience of witnessing the not so fun effects of dehydration. Twice. Since I am a water drinking fool, this has not happened to me but I almost rather it had. It's not fun to watch others experience dizziness, heart palpitations, and then suddenly collapse on the floor. Hence, I'd like to deliver a very original little PSA for you all:

PLEASE DRINK LOTS O'FLUIDS.

Especially after a bout of the stomach flu. You may think you're fine, doing your normal thing but you'd be amazed how much you have actually lost in that 24 hour period when some nasty bug was wreaking havoc on your system. (I learned all sorts of things from the friendly ER doc the other night). The signs of dehydration might not even hit you until a full week later but when it does, trust me, it will suck. Who wants to spend their Saturday night hooked up to an IV anyway? And if nothing else will convince you, remember this: the Packers need your strength.

So drink. Water, that is. You can do a bit of the other kind after that Superbowl win.

No comments: