Wednesday, January 5, 2011

All Right Already, They're Riekers!!

I'm rather picky about my shoes. Not in a must-be-fancy-pants-brand kind of way but more in a if-I'm-paying-this-much-money-they-better-damn-fit-well kind of way. Then I moved to New York and it became infinitely important that they not only fit my narrow feet but that they were outfitted with some heavy duty soles, too. I've always walked a lot but when you are literally pounding the pavement every day, you quickly learn what a good shoe is and what isn't.

So a few winters ago in Brooklyn, I was on a mission to get the best boots ever. For years, I had been on the lookout for some basic, black boots without heels that would allow me to trudge through the snow while looking somewhat fashionable. When I got to NYC, this desire became a damn near obsession. Why was it so difficult to find something that was both practical and a just a little bit cute? All I wanted was something that was warm, waterproof, and with decent traction. And no, they couldn't look like the moon boots I wore in the third grade. And yet, it seemed like I was going to have to decide between either killing myself on the ice or looking like an eight-year-old.

And then, one day, I found them, the perfect, rugged yet cute winter boots. THANK YOU, RIEKER! I still cannot believe (three years later) how comfortable they are. Then again, Rieker uses some sort of magical "anti-stress" technology which I would normally laugh at if I didn't actually walk all day in these boots without getting sore. Or wet. Or cold. And what a shocker, it's a German brand! Leave it to those crazy awesome German engineers to save my tootsies.

Anyway, I wouldn't normally waste your time writing about this kind of thing, dear reader, but I was beginning to feel some sort of social responsibility to spread the word after being stopped repeatedly by random, wide-eyed female strangers who understand the winter boot plight.

"WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE?!?!" is how it usually goes. And then we proceed to bond over a pair of shoes while standing in Target's pet supply aisle.

So here: www.zappos.com

Now go. Order. Make your feet happy.

I suddenly feel so socially responsible. And this is way less work than that whole social work thing. Who knew?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I've been looking for boots that are warm AND comfortable and can be worn out socially (well, not to a fancy place)...I may just try a pair!