Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Healthy Obsession

Remember this? I had bust out laughing the first time the Frau from my Learning German CD taught me how to say "asparagus with ham." After I had blogged about it, one of my German friends had emailed me to confirm. "Yes, we are crazy about the asparagus," she had written which in its earnestness made me crack up all over again.

Then a few weeks after my arrival in Berlin, this same friend invited me over for dinner, this very dinner actually. White asparagus covered in a creamy hollandaise sauce alongside boiled potatoes and shredded ham. (And yes, I partook in the ham but I swear I haven't had a meat product since then!) It was indeed a delicious combo and just like my post-dinner state from the previous spaetzle dinner at their flat, I left with a hard, round tummy.

I've noticed since then that every other restaurant I now pass seem to be posting signs, beckoning people to come in for their very own weisse Spargel specialty. It is actually a bit of an obsession here in Berlin which is why I found this little bit amusing. Mmm, vegetarian ragout sounds pretty fantastic. Sign me up!

1 comment: