Thursday, July 30, 2009

Horizon Organics, Whole Foods, and an Awesome Dude Named Bill Smith

I guess I don’t need to retell you the whole (ha ha) story (you can check it out at Newsweek) but I felt the need to highlight it because it warmed my animal loving heart so much. Here it is in a nutshell:

Bill Smith, an investigator of dog breeders, recently discovered that a Pennsylvanian puppy mill (which had been allowing those poor creatures to live in heartbreaking conditions) was also running a dairy, supplying milk to Horizon Organics. Horizon, which touts itself as a producer of high quality, organic products was in turn, selling to Whole Foods, also a major do-gooder in the grocery realm.

Long story short, a Newsweek reporter caught wind of this and notified both Horizon and Whole Foods about her upcoming story on the matter. Subsequently, Horizon halted purchases from the farmer. (They resumed business when the farmer ceased the puppy mill biz). Through pressure from Smith, Whole Foods then informed all of its vendors that they were not to supply products if they came from farmers who were at all involved with any inhumane dog breeding/raising services. Of course, Horizon and Whole Foods could have sent an even stronger message to that farmer had they walked away from him completely. However, it's at least a significant step in the right direction.

I don’t know if you typically patronize Whole Foods (I don’t live near one so I seldom do) but this makes me want to run out and buy from them. I’m also so excited that consumers are inquiring more and more about where their milk/ produce/ sweatshirts/TV’s/etc come from. Who is supplying them? How are they made? Who is hurt in the process (people, animals, environment)? And how important is it for me to have this item, knowing (or not knowing) what I do about it? This is an area that I need to work on myself. It takes time and money to be a conscientious consumer. Yet, how wonderful to know that your choices can make a huge impact!

Look at Bill Smith. One person, making a stink created major waves which will hopefully lead to even further positive changes. Hooray! Thanks, Mr. Smith, for not only being a dog saving extraordinaire but also for reminding us that supporting the good guys and discouraging the bad guys really does matter.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

That is a great story and I'm glad that someone has the guts to speak out. Unfortunately I can't afford to shop at "Whole Paycheck" very often, but it is fun to just go in there and browse...can't say that about too many grocery stores!
I just gave my pups an extra hug after reading this..I'm pretty sure my little dog came from a puppy mill as we "rescued" her from a pet store. Luckily she has been very healthy.
Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing
http://courtlove111.wordpress.com

Rachael said...

I agree that I probably couldn't afford to do all my shopping there either. It's really a shame that due to cost, people cannot be as healthy or conscientious as they want to be. Then again, the more people who buy such products will drive the prices down. But of course, that doesn't make the here and now any easier!