Monday, July 27, 2009

One Curd Too Many...

Every single time I go back to Wisconsin, I go on a major food bender. Every...single....time. I completely lose control which is just ridiculous since normally, I maintain a pretty darn healthy (and mostly vegetarian) diet. Considering that I am quite content, sustaining myself on lots of bean stews, veggie stir fries, and fruits and nuts, you wouldn't think I would fall off the wagon so easily. Yet, when I go to the land of blue skies and cornfields, some switch apparently goes off in my head that turns me into a bottomless pit...a bottomless pit that craves nothing but fat and sugar. I think part of the problem is that my mom seems to prepare for an army when I come into town. (Oddly, I am not offended). The fridge will be teeming with cheeses, a variety of creamy dips, cold cuts, and of course, desserts, desserts, desserts!

Some friends roll their eyes when I tell them how hell breaks loose and I inhale the contents of my mom's kitchen for the entire trip. They look at my slim stature and assume I'm exaggerating. Dudes, I am NOT exaggerating. Ready?

Since Friday, I've eaten several turkey pastrami sandwiches, a load of cheese and crackers (it is Wisconsin), a lake perch fish fry (for those of you unfamiliar with this local Friday night tradition, this means a plate of deep fat fried perch, french fries, cole slaw, and rye bread), barbecued chicken, a burger from the grill, potato salad, chocolate chunk cookies, popcorn, raspberry cream torte, butter slathered corn on the cob, birthday cake with the requisite slab of vanilla ice cream on the side, potato chips, chocolate eclair torte (we like our tortes), and as if all that wasn't enough, the fam and I decided to grab a bite tonight at Kroll's.

Anyone from northeastern Wisconsin knows the institution that is Kroll's located across from Lambeau Field. They make THE BEST butter burgers, hands down, along with amazing chocolate malts and of course, deep fried cheese curd. After a day of chasing her 2-year-old niece around, this girl put away a burger (butter literally running down her arm) alongside some fries, curd, and a chocolate malt. I was full halfway through but the greasy goodness kept me going. I think I managed to thoroughly disgust and delight myself at the very same time.

I am now sitting on my sister's couch, moaning. There may be a some sort of juice cleanse in my very near future but damn, it was so worth it. I am in the Dairyland after all. I think Wisconsin would have been insulted had I not gotten my fill of rich creaminess.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to say a prayer for my arteries and get my butter butt to bed.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I can TOTALLY relate. To everything you just said! And Kroll's. I went there not once but twice, and I hooked my children also. My mouth is watering! Did you know they can ship? I may just have to give that a try, I will let you know how it is. Enjoy all the Cheesy goodness!

Anonymous said...

I love that we choose to add butter to a freaking burger. as if the first wasn't enough?? glad you had fun of course -

Lauralei said...

What about the Golden Casket, I mean Golden Basket. I bet you couldn't put away three, count them three pancakes after all that craziness!!

Rachael said...

The funniest part of it all is that for the weeks leading up to that trip (when I was preparing for the feast), I was eating tons of fruits and veggies and had a horrible stomach ache the whole time! On the flip side, I felt like a million bucks over the weekend with the steady stream of fat and grease. Ha! (Not that I'm advocating for this sort of diet on a regular basis, ahem, just interesting).