Thursday, July 9, 2009

Jill Jayne Rocks!

When I was a social worker, trying to assist children with a myriad of mental health diagnoses, I found a general attitude of indifference amongst both families and professionals when trying to discuss basic issues of healthy living: sleep, nutrition, and exercise. My clients, along with their doctors and teachers, were often more fixated on obtaining prescriptions for psychotropic drugs than experimenting with a child’s diet, sleep, or activity schedule. I was often dumbfounded by the way some people made their children’s problems so much more complicated than they needed to be. Don’t get me wrong. I am NOT minimizing the very real emotional and behavioral disorders of which many children suffer; however, I believe that there are often small steps we can take to assist in changing a child’s problem behavior. For example, if kids were not allowed a steady stream of sugary sodas or an ungodly amount of unnatural preservatives and were actually encouraged to eat vegetables and fruits while getting outside with a bat and ball once in a while, we would not have the current epidemic of obesity and mental health diagnoses on our hands. I am convinced.

Because of my history in the trenches of poor health, I am ridiculously happy every time a new program that promotes healthy choices is launched. And I am thrilled to learn that Jill Jayne, Rockstar Nutritionist, is delivering her message via her awesome nutrition program, Note to Health. Jill's background as a registered dietitian along with her skills as a singer-songwriter has resulted in a highly entertaining, touring show, Jump with Jill. Jill tours schools and performs her wildly upbeat, toe tapping tunes, engaging students one song after another.

I encourage you to check out her blog with video clips of her work...you can't help but smile. How refreshing to see such a positive message touted in school gymnasiums! And the kids are so engaged! Perhaps your kid's school would be interested, too. ..

1 comment:

Jill Jayne, MS, RD, The Rockstar Nutritionist said...

I agree, this show is pretty awesome:)
Thanks, Rachael, and continued success!