Sunday, January 17, 2010

That's All, Folks

I absolutely cannot believe I am bragging about this but what can I say? It's a rainy Sunday afternoon and I'm not feeling too jazzed about anything. So bear with me.

Yesterday, I felt compelled to take this photo to illustrate the very little that I own at age...(wait, I don't really need to go there, do I?)...at age, umm, thirtysomething. Yep, aside from some random stuff at my parent's (pots and pans, photo albums, and a little Christmas tree), this is it. Those three suitcases? All the clothes I own in the world after replenishing the shelves at the Salvation Army.

So it was the fastest move of my life. My buddy, Mark, came over at 1 o'clock. We were done by 3:30 and that was with a stop at his storage unit along the way. Even Baxter the Cat took the whole thing in stride. Of course, he fought me at first when it was time to go into the kitty carrier but after a few initial howls in the car, his disposition changed. He was like, Oh yeah...you're all about the moving. I almost forgot about that.

It feels strange though to know that many of my friends own houses, cars, stuff of actual monetary value. I don't even own furniture anymore. I'm not complaining. It's just crazy to think about sometimes, especially when I visit people who do own real stuff, like art. And sofas.

Even though I possess very little, it still took me several hours to organize myself today. I'm still not quite all the way there. Right now, I'm trying to figure out what to do with all the great photos of friends and family that I did make sure to cart over here, even if it is only for a brief time. Drooly babies, goofy friends, family portraits...I'd like to plaster my walls with their faces. And amidst it all, I found a calendar that a Berliner friend made for me before I left. Each month is a fantastic photo of a beautiful city scene or some quirkiness that is Berlin. Right now, I am staring at January's shot, a snow covered church at Herrfurthplatz. Gorgeous. Perhaps I will place the photos all around the calendar and then finally, everyone will be exactly where I want them.

2 comments:

Lauralei said...

Have you notice any signs in your dreams when your mind is trying to process everything?

Rachael said...

OOh, this is a topic for a whole other post!!