Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Lightness of My Being is Actually Quite Bearable

When I woke up this morning, I had one of those "Where the hell am I?" moments (and no, this does not mean I'm some kind of floozy). It took a few seconds for it to register that I was in my friend's guest bed. Right. Then I started calculating the many different beds I've slept in throughout the past month and when I thought of Berlin, Milwaukee, the north woods, and Brooklyn, I came up with ten different locations. Ten! No wonder my shoulders are so damn sore. I've been dragging my crap around, living the nomadic life for over a month!

As much as it has sucked not to have my own bedroom (though I will have one come this weekend), it has been a real eye opener to learn how very little I need to live. I went to Berlin with one suitcase and a carry-on. That got me through three months and I didn't even wear all of the clothes I brought. I even left some behind.

With another move on the horizon, I decided this past weekend that I was not going to once again drag a bunch of crap I know longer use/wear/like across town, only to haul it up yet another flight of stairs, never to look at it again. So before I dove into my closets, I made myself that promise...you know, that one golden rule that so many people try to abide by:

If I haven't worn it in the past year, it's gone.

Well, I did not entirely stick to this rule but that's mostly because I don't know what kind of job I will be in six months from now. (Plus, I'm a sucker for dresses). However, there was definitely enough in the clothes department that I simply couldn't stand to look at for one more season. A frugal girl, I tend to wear the crap out of my clothes. However, as I looked at one particular skirt and had flashes of an event I wore it to eight years ago, I gave myself permission to let it go. There are far too many pictures of me already wearing that damn thing.

Between the clothes, a whole lot of shoes I have found to be completely inappropriate for the pavement of NYC, and an array of other random stuff like velcro rollers and snowman decorations, I ended up with six garbage bags and four boxes full of stuff. A few things I sold but the majority ended up at the local Salvation Army. My wardrobe has easily been cut in half and somehow, this doesn't make me panic. I feel lighter than ever. More mobile. Freer to perhaps move overseas for a spell? Who knows?

So come Saturday, I will be moving clothes and a whole lot of paper products (books, magazines, stuff from writing classes) and that's about it. Oh, and Baxter the Cat. What else does a girl need aside from a few sweaters, a good read, and a snuggly cat?

I'm content.

No comments: