Sunday, March 11, 2012

Oops

I typically don't like to spew my anger about something without looking at possible solutions to the problem. However, that's exactly what I did in last week's elephant post. Sorry. I couldn't help it. My blood boils anytime I read about violence towards a defenseless creature, especially when people try to rationalize these behaviors based on "needs," the greatest "need" which seems to be one's compulsion to consume. For example, our urban sprawl constantly upsets ecosystems; yet we want to punish those animals that naturally react to our invasion. We buy products without thinking where they come from and who or what may be getting hurt in the process. No longer a necessity for most, some of us now deem hunting only a sport, a "sport" that (at least in Wisconsin) can involve a lot of drinking and a ghastly level of bloodthirsty aggression toward animals.

In an age when anyone can do a two minute internet search and instantaneously learn about the torture some animals must endure to fill our bellies or adorn our homes and bodies, it blows my mind that the demand for things like shark fin soup and ivory only increases. But again, what's the point of getting all rant-y and rave-y if I'm not going to provide some solutions?

Well, you may be shocked to learn that I don't actually have the answers to it all. (I know, I know.) However, I don't think we can underestimate the power of spreading awareness. I mean, who has actually watched Food Inc. and continued buying meat in the same way at the local supermarket? Who has continued feeding their children chicken nuggets after watching this link about Jamie Oliver's food education "failure"? And check out some of WildAid's public service announcements. Although I don't know much about this organization, I respect their simple, yet strong message: "When the buying stops, the killing can, too." And did they really get Peter Benchley to speak in defense of sharks? Sweet!

I am also impressed that according to their website, WildAid is able to funnel 100% (!) of their donations to the field. And when it's 100%, a few of us giving five dollars here and there suddenly seems like it could actually make an impact. That five dollars I might spend on a coffee and a scone (that I don't need anyway; see previous "Lessons Learned" post) could go toward protecting all sorts of amazing creatures.

Whole different kind of "lesson learned".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree there is animal cruelty.But it is a bit of a broad statement to paint every hunter (At least in Wisconsin) blood thirsty and aggressive?? Really??.... oh and yes we all must be drinkers?? I bet my venision hamburger was taken and made more humanly than your beefburger from Krolls. And yes hunters do do it in a humane way and use the meat to feed their families.

Anonymous said...

Another great way to ensure %100 of your contributions go towards the animals is donating your time at your local animal shelter or rescue center.

Rachael said...

I would never (and did not) paint a picture that *every* Wisconsin hunter is blood thirsty and aggressive. The word I used was "some" and having lived thirty some years in Wisconsin, I indeed have come across my share of hunters who seem to get a kick out of simply killing another creature. (And yes, I do believe that alcohol can fuel this aggression.) I, however, do respect those carnivores who go the humane hunting route versus buying something at the local supermarket that was raised on some factory farm. I have some of these types of hunters in my own family and although I am not about to go join them in the woods, I respect that they go through this process with the animal which will then feed themselves and their families.

And as I've said many, many times over, I am no saint and I certainly falter. I'm sure you're right that my burger from Kroll's did not come from the most humane sources which is why I do something like that only once or twice a year. But as I stated in my post, awareness is the key and if I keep bringing myself to that point of awareness, I am more and more likely to make decisions that sit well with me. I can only hope that this is the case for others as well.

Rachael said...

P.S. Anonymous #2, absolutely! If you are doing this, kudos to you! I fear that I would come home with every animal in the place if I did this!