Sunday, January 1, 2012

Well, Hello 2012....

So last night, I bid goodbye to 2011 and welcomed 2012 with a positive attitude alongside a mug of mulled wein. Luckily, none of my fellow revelers believed in new year's resolutions so instead, we talked about what makes us hopeful about the new year. I realized I needed to reflect a bit on the past year to know what makes me hopeful for the next.

Last year was by no means a happy-go-lucky year for me. There was stress and craziness indeed. However, in addition to that chaos, there was also so such for me to be grateful for. More than anything, I am grateful to be finally making some headway in regards to that whole "stay in the moment" mantra. Goals and resolutions are good in some ways but they can so easily sabotage us into being completely dissatisfied with our current state, no matter what loveliness may lie beneath.

When I have a deadline to meet (which is ultimately contributing to my goal of having a certain amount of money in the bank) and Baxter the Cat is rubbing his cheek so hard against my laptop that I actually cannot work, I can get mighty frustrated with my little puffball friend. However, in recent months, I've made the realization that Bax is getting old and that I really must allow myself to enjoy his sweet little cat presence more. And quite honestly, considering that it's scientific proof that petting a cat lowers one's blood pressure (and for me, just makes me plain happy), it's probably worth losing a few dollars.

So yes, it's all about the small things for me this year. No doubt it was an amazing year politically. There's a reason Time magazine listed The Protester as the "Person of the Year". If it wasn't the Middle East, it was Wall Street or my backyard in Wisconsin. Even though these movements were inspiring, I wouldn't exactly call them heartwarming. They definitely didn't lower my blood pressure.

So I took stock of some of the things that did warm my heart this year, big and small. It's amazing how much came to me. I think that's a good sign for 2012, no?

First off, 2011 started off with a bang. I made the decision to pick up and move to a new city again. However, this time, my heart told me that this move was it for me and every day since then has reinforced this idea. I've made wonderful new friends, live near family, and feel inspired by the progressive nature of those around me every single day.

Later in the year, I lost my grandmother, my last remaining grandparent. Although her death was expected, it was still a huge blow to the family. What surprised me, however, was the celebration that came with her passing. Extended family that I hadn't seen in years came together to share their memories of her. The ongoing theme was her heart of gold, her relentless positive outlook on life, and her ongoing belief that all people deserved to be treated with dignity and kindness. These qualities continue to inspire me to be the best person I can be.

I've also learned to take time to celebrate time with all of my loved ones. My niece's giggle is golden and her hugs continue to make me melt. I've cherished kind letters from friends and in return, have made a concerted effort to let know others the warmth I feel toward them. I am honored to be celebrating a dear friend's pregnancy while comforting another who is losing her job in this tough economy. I am reminded how much we all need one another.

I've allowed myself to take time to enjoy art in any form whether it's an amazing photo or gorgeous lyrics that make me cry. I've gleefully expanded my music collection this year to include the stunning new Bon Iver album that I (and apparently a whole lot of other people) honestly cannot listen to enough. On the lighter side of things, I made numerous copies of The Green Album for those born in the 70s who will appreciate it the way I do. Of course, True Blood continues to release kick ass soundtracks and the last one rivals the first in awesomeness. (I dare you to listen to this track and not get up and shimmy about the room.) And speaking of dancing, as creepy as the lyrics are, this was one of the catchiest tunes of the year and quickly became my summer anthem.

Books. Well, I'm a slow reader so I haven't gotten too far there. Plus, the damn internet hijacks any of my ventures into anything that spans more than 1,000 words. On the flip side, I've read some pretty hilarious stuff this year in the form of short articles or blog posts. I was introduced to The Bloggess whose stuff I now read regularly because the woman makes me almost pee my pants on a regular basis. Any time I need an instant pick-up, I read her post about Beyonce the Chicken. I encourage you to do the same.

Want more quick links to an instant warmed heart? Check out this story about those scientists in China who dress up as pandas to best serve their charges. Want to actually squeal out loud? Then watch these video clips and listen to this tiny polar bear's cute little baby bear noises. You may just decide you need to buy a ticket to Denmark after that trip to China.

Movies? Well, I've barely seen any this year but Beginners was hands down my number one pick. You laugh, you cry, you stare at Ewan McGregor's perfect face, but mostly, you, too, just might be inspired to try to break old, destructive patterns. Gorgeous and absolutely galvanizing for the new year.

So what am I hopeful for in 2012? Quite honestly, a whole lot of the same. Staying in the moment, continuing to be grateful for those I love, the work I have during such difficult economic times, and all the small, goofy things in between that make me laugh out loud and give me faith in people.

And did I mention it's the Year of the Dragon? 2012, you may just become my favorite year yet. I hope it's yours, too. Happy New Year.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post! happy 2012 to you. i really, really liked Beginners too. i hope to see more of you in 2012.
-shayla

Rachael said...

Happy New Year to you, too, Shayla! Glad to know we have similar movie tastes. Maybe we can hit a few in '12! :)
-R