Tuesday, November 9, 2010

TIME, TIME!!

It's probably already rather evident but I can get the teensiest bit obsessed with the allotment of my time. In fact, this song has been running through my head lately for no reason except for the "Time! Time!" bit (as if I don't already have the reminder in my head to watch the clock and get AS MUCH DONE AS POSSIBLE in one day). I can't help it. I've never understood the phrases, "I'm bored" or "I don't know what to do with myself." There's always about 382 things I want to do at any given moment.

Because of this, I tend to cram in a whole lot into a tiny amount of time. I mean, did I really just make a plan to visit three different cities in one week's time? Come on, I'm not backpacking through Europe anymore! And of course, now in preparation for these trips, I'm got 600 more things added to my "to do" list. And don't even remind me that Thanksgiving is around the corner.

(Sigh)

So it's no surprise that I haven't been a very good friend lately. I've been rather in my head, trying to sort out a whole lot of stuff. Definitely not as present as I'd like to be. But yesterday, I was thrown back into reality. A dear friend of mine was having a really awful day. Already riled up with work related stress, things snowballed when she began to feel physically ill and by the end of the day, she was in hysterics. Although I hate to hear anyone I love so upset, I was so glad that she had reached out and called me. Not only was I happy to hear her out but her tears also helped ground me. Suddenly, travel plans really weren't so important. What was important was that I made myself available to her. Right then, in that moment. I was present.

So I listened. I agreed with the unfairness of her work situation. I listened to her cry and I let her know that I would be there for her the next day, too, if she needed it. So here we are the next day with a plan for yoga this evening and burgers, fries, and chocolate malts to follow. (What the hell? Sometimes a gal has to let it all go.)

And suddenly, my time feels much more valuable. You know, like those cow bell ringing Chamber Brothers said.

Now the time has come. There are things to realize. Time has come today. Time has come today....TIME! TIME!

No comments: