Friday, November 26, 2010

Not Quite a Balanced Meal But...


The last few weeks have been a bit crazy to say the least. Overall, it's been good stuff but running around like a chicken (or turkey?) with its head cut off can catch up to you. In fact, it’s part of the reason I threw my laptop to the wayside and swore off most technology for a week.

And then there was Thanksgiving.

I’m not sure when I was last in the north woods of Wisconsin with my family for Thanksgiving. New York and Spain sort of got in the way. And I definitely have no idea when my oldest sister and I managed to be there at the same time. But this year, the whole fam, including significant others and a peanut of a niece were present for the feast. As we prepared, I happily set the table and couldn’t help but smile when I arranged my niece’s place setting. (By the way, check out the missing roll. Someone just couldn’t wait.) My mom thought it was important for Autumn to eat off of the good china like the rest of us, considering that Little Miss is quite insistent these days that she is a “big girl." However, her tiny spoon and fork and the farm animal plastic cup alongside the china quickly reminded me that despite her “big girl” status, she is barely out of toddlerhood. I couldn’t help but feel a twinge of sadness, considering all of the times she has wanted me to play in recent months and I’ve been unable to due to a ringing cell phone or an expectant email sitting in my inbox.

Damn technology.

Well, okay, not really. I love the fact that it makes my life easier in so many ways. I’m glad that I can easily shoot off an email or a text to quickly communicate my need/desire/question/answer. But I also know that next year, the tiny spoon and fork will most likely be gone. So I happily threw my phone into my purse and did not look at it for a full ten hours. Instead, I sat down for a wonderful feast with my family, played Go Fish, ate some more, and played a little harder. Now today it’s back to work and I’m happy to do it. Who knew that a day of gluttony could lead one to feel so balanced?

No comments: