Thursday, August 5, 2010

Let Them Eat Well!

About a year ago, I stumbled across an ad, looking for volunteers for the Nourishing Kitchen of NYC. My interest piqued, I did a little research on this non-profit and was blown away by what a young, incredibly ambitious woman had launched in East Harlem. Her idea? To start a soup kitchen of sorts that actually serves healthy food. Forget the highly salted gravy over instant potatoes of yesterday. Not only has Ms. Gina Puzzanghera been serving up delicious, organic meals, she has also been developing programming for people, young and old, inviting them into her kitchen to learn how to cook such healthy meals. I mean, check out her mission statement:

Our mission is to alleviate the strong correlation between low income status and poor dietary health. To do this we provide nutritious meals and educational programming in a safe and caring environment, to anyone who comes seeking nourishment without question and without criticism while providing opportunities for volunteers to give of themselves in service to others. Anyone is welcome regardless of age, sex, race, financial qualifications, or religious beliefs.

Nice.

One of the things that drove me absolutely nutty as a child welfare social worker was hearing my clients rag about the delinquent/hyperactive/fill-in-the-blank-disordered behavior of their child when I would be sitting in their home, watching said child fill up on soda and Cheetos right in front of my eyes. Likewise, I was stunned that during my last physical when I talked about my ongoing fatigue issues, my doc never once questioned my diet. (Hello? Possible food allergy?) Instead, she went straight to a discussion about medication possibilities. Grrr....

I'm not anti-medication by any means but it really amazes me that despite all the recent hype about the food industry, people aren't more concerned about the correlation between food and their physical and psychological health. I remember one (one!) of my former clients who completely revamped her foster child's diet to see how it would affect his "hyperactive" behavior. And ta-da! Amazing how a child that goes from a diet of Skittles and KFC to fruit and baked chicken can actually sit down and do his homework.

Now let's look at the not so warm and fuzzy financial aspect of our nation's less than stellar eating habits. In fact, let's look at those who visit soup kitchens in particular. It's no secret that the poor in America tend to the be the most obese and disease ridden people in our country. Heart disease and diabetes in particular run rampant amongst this group. Now consider what we pay in Medicaid costs to cover such illnesses. Isn't it just common sense to put more time and resources into programs like the Nourishing Kitchen which are trying to create healthier lives and quite frankly, do taxpayers a huge favor in the long run? Anyone else want to scream out loud with me?

Anyway, I'm so very pleased to learn that the Nourishing Kitchen just won a contest, determined by the public's votes, for $25,000! A charity that is socially conscious, health focused, environmentally friendly (did I mention the local gardens they use?), and fiscally responsible?? Oh, NK (do you mind if I call you that?), you are definitely on my top five!

Please, folks, consider volunteering or donating to Ms. Puzzanghera's truly fantastic organization. You can learn more at eatwellnyc.com (look under the "media packet" tab for a really great description of their programming) or at http://thenourishingkitchenofnyc.blogspot.com/.

Happy, healthy eating!

No comments: