Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I Need New Pants


You know your desire to consume delicious food is a teeny bit obsessive when you find yourself purposely exercising (in my case these days, climbing the cobble stone streets of Madrid) simply so you can eat more of the awesome food your host mother has prepared upon your return. Paella, pisto, croquetas, oh my! Then there's all that bread and cheese and those interesting Spanish fruits, too. Whoa, los pantalones are feeling just a tiny bit restrictive these days.

And I cannot forget my favorite Spanish pastry, the napolitana (most typically known as a cream or chocolate croissant). La Mallorquina, a Madrid institution located in the Puerta del Sol, is known for its amazing napolitanas and chocolate truffles (trufas) amongst all sorts of other goodies. (Just look at 'em!) Typically packed to the gills, I am never discouraged from making my way through the crowd at least once each time I visit Madrid. The other day, I tried to get a small trufa but they only sell the big ones singly (about an inch and a half in diameter) so I had to eat the whole darn thing. Such a travesty.

This morning, I made a special trip back to the city center for one more stroll and also for one last visit to La Mallorquina. When I'm in Spain, I make a mental checklist of all the things I must eat. (Is this a clinical disorder??) Even though I never, ever expect my host mother to cook for me, she knows what I love and very sweetly prepares almost everything I secretly have stashed in my brain's "to eat" list. However, one doesn't just whip up a napolitana. Hence, my little trip this morning to La Mallorquina. Did I mention that I used to have a Spanish class just above this place? Guess where Rachael and her crew went every day during their break? While the teacher smoked approximately seven cigarettes during a ten minute break, the rest of us were chowing down on chocolately goodness and cafe solos. Oh, memories!

I am now sitting here, post dinner stuffed with croquetas, cheese, cafe con leche and napolitanas. In a few hours, I will be heading "home" to the land of cake, cheese, and beer. I am now going to write these words so that I will feel responsible to someone: FRUIT and VEGETABLES. And another little reminder: DUDE, YOU HAVE NO MONEY FOR NEW PANTS!

Okay, kids. Make me true to my word.

Yours truly,
Rachael (aka Ms. Hedonism)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think living/loving to eat is perfectly normal. Food, Beer, Friends... its all I need besides the odd bit of travelling and music.