Sunday, November 15, 2009

El domingo in Madrid

It went something like this:

9:30 am - Woke up to the sound of my host mother furiously preparing the first steps of what was to be our paella feast. Proudly refused offer of chocolate croissant and cookies. Instead consumed piece of toast and yogurt like a good little American.

11:30 am - Headed out to the Rastro (huge market near the Plaza Mayor) with host mother. Finally got on the ball with my gift buying. Amid some serious junk and bull stamped T-shirts, I left with some pretty great finds.

3:00 pm - Sunday dinner. Observed my host mother assemble the paella in a gigantic pan: the rice, the spices, the chicken, the salt, the mussels, the peas, more salt, the shrimp, the cauliflower, and a bit more salt. I planned to take a photo of it before we dove in but dudes, I'm still on a German schedule. I was ready to bite my arm off by the time we sat down to eat at 3:30. Hence, no time for photos.

4:30 - 6:00 pm - Siesta (Duh!)

7:00- 8:30 pm - Took part in the usual evening paseo with my host parents. Stopped at a tapas bar for beers and patatas bravas (next to croquetas, my fav in the tapas world).

9:00 - 10:00 pm - Laid around, chatting with the fam.

10:00pm - Despite not being even slightly hungry, I dug in with the rest of the fam for dinner. Ham, cheese, bread, garlicky carrots, alioli and crackers, wine, and chocolate torte. More laying around to follow.

11:50 pm - Currently in pajamas, rubbing tummy.

As my dad would say about a day like this, "Not too shabby." Nope, not at all. Gracias, Spain. You kinda rule.




No comments: