Sunday, June 21, 2009

Daddy's Day

I am learning that I get overwhelmed easily. The phrase, "Sorry that I forgot (fill in the blank), I 've been so scatterbrained lately!" has been written in one too many emails these days.  So it shouldn't surprise me that last Sunday while running late to meet a friend for birthday margaritas, I was suddenly hit with a sense of panic. "Shit!" I yelled out loud as I grabbed for my cell phone, punched in my parents' number, and blurted, "Happy Father's Day!" as soon my dad answered.

"Ummmm, you're a bit early," he laughed, not at all offended by my apparent inability to read a calendar.  And then I went from feeling scatterbrained to just feeling like your run of the mill jackass.  It's bad enough that I completely spaced on my mom's birthday a few months ago (for the first and only time in my life, I hope!) but now I can't even keep Father's Day straight?  Then again, who can remember all of these holidays when there's no specific date to memorize? I can remember Halloween and St. Patty's but why all these holidays with elusive dates? The fourth thursday of November, the first Monday of September, the second Sunday of May and the third Sunday of June... (that's where I got flubbed up.  Why can't these two at least both be on the second or third Sunday??) And don't even get me started on Easter!

So anyway, I wrote "FATHER'S DAY!" on this week's to do list and made sure to get a card in the mail (albeit late as usual). I despise buying "Father's Day" cards for my dad.  Thanks Hallmark, but our relationship isn't a mushy one where I thank him incessantly for everything ever. Frankly, that kind of thing would embarrass the crap out of him anyway.  He's more the type to put tires on my car to show his affection toward me.  Anyway, that rules out about half of the cards from the get go. Then, I must deal with the the fact that according to what's on the shelves, 95% of fathers have golfing addictions and/or an aversion to ties. The idea of my workaholic father on a golf course (when he's got a garden to plant, a lawn mower to fix, or a more properly working sander to build) makes me laugh out loud.  And I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen him in a tie. 

So that generally leaves about two card options for me. But this year, my local Walgreen's surprised me with a very fitting sentiment.  The theme of the card involved things breaking, fathers fixing them, and how they curse about the cheap foreign parts they are forced to use in the process. Yep, that's my dad.  Just throw in the phrase, "Goddamn Mickey Mouse crap!" in reference to anything bought from Home Depot and you've just met Ron.  If it's not from Sears or Fleet Farm, he will just build his own damn tool then, thank you very much!

So hopefully, he will have a good Father's Day. He deserves it. He is the reason I have the work ethic I do.  I have most definitely inherited his honest, hard working disposition which has translated to never living above your means, always being insured, and maintaining some type of savings account. It also means putting your all into every task, no matter how mundane, because it is a reflection of the person you are. (And we are no family of slackers!)  So thanks Dad. The hard work is starting to pay off.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I got a little choked up upon reading this...something to do with the conflicting feelings that Fathers Day can bring up.

I also can't believe you found such a good card! In general, I feel like Hallmark needs to include a few Midwesterners or blue collar folks on their writing teams!