Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sorta Kinda Good News

Yes, people are recycling more. Hallelujah. According to this article, Americans are at a 34 percent national recycling rate. Although I'm happy to see that more people are recycling, Americans are still producing 250 million tons of trash per year. Does anyone else think that this is insane? Almost four and a half pounds or garbage per person per day? I guess we need to rejoice in any steps forward but I'm also disheartened that we are producing more trash than we did thirty years ago. Haven't we learned anything? Consumption, consumption, consumption, the American way, is it? Maybe this holiday season is the time to turn that around. I really like these ideas and I especially like the first piece of advice on the list.

It may be the thought that counts, but a gift that the receiver does not use is simply wasted: not a very nice thought. Give material possessions only if you know the recipient well enough to pick out something they were on the cusp of getting for themselves, or which they really need and will certainly enjoy using.

Besides, as much as I'd like a new Ipod for Christmas (ahem), I'd pretty much freak out (in a good way, of course) if someone wrote me a poem or came up with a personalized playlist for me as a holiday gift. Who doesn't want to feel all tingly inside, knowing that a friend or family member took the time to really think about the person you are?

So yeah, feel free to write me a sonnet. Or give your friends a plant that can bloom throughout these cold, winter months. And of course, when in doubt, there are always cookies.

No comments: