Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Wal-Mart Precedent I Can Get Behind

Do you ever get to the point where you feel like your city, state, country, or planet for that matter is going to hell in a handbasket right before your very eyes? Well, that's sort of how I was feeling earlier this week so I purposely began to avoid the headlines. (Regardless, it's rather difficult not to hear about a certain local court justice who just couldn't keep his hands off of his colleague's neck.)

But at the moment, I am sitting down with a cup of coffee and the Sunday paper in front of me and feeling kind of all right about things. New York's recent decision to allow all consenting adults who are in love to marry? Awesome. And on a more local front, I was pleased to come across this article about what area retailers are doing to reduce their carbon footprint. What's especially pleasing to me is knowing that these steps are no doubt driven at least partially by consumers who are beginning to demand that their retailers be more environmentally sustainable. Just when you begin to think, but I'm only one person, what can it possibly matter, you realize that it really does.

No comments: