Sunday, March 20, 2011

Save Tovan!

I've sort of just had it. I know, I know, it's hard to know what exactly is making one crazy these days with so many options to choose from but today I'm going to holler about the recent rash of animal cruelty cases in Wisconsin.

Despite my background in social work and psychology, I still sometimes find myself wanting to scream, "What is WRONG with people??" For example, while I was visiting my family over the weekend, I learned about a current court case involving a group of teens who had met online for the sole purpose of running around the north woods, shooting and torturing small animals for sport. Really, guys? And in the same area, flyers have been posted for some sicko who is wanted by the authorities for torturing two cats. (In both scenarios, however, I am heartened to learn that the authorities are involved).

As a former child welfare social worker who often found myself freaking out when trying to protect children from future abuse and neglect ("How can the law not be on their side?!"), you can probably see why I eventually had to leave the field. I mean, a person's emotional capacity is only so big. However, I, like most human beings do care about my fellow man as well as all of the other amazing creatures of our world. So when I was made aware of Tovan, the Great Dane, I felt compelled to pass the word along.

Clearly abused, a couple found Tovan in their yard and took him in. Soon after contacting the authorities, his owners came forward and he was returned "home." (I use that term loosely since "home", in my opinion, is a place where one is loved and nurtured but I digress.) Anyway, the people who found him are now circulating a petition to force an investigation in regards to Tovan's "care." So please take a moment and check out this link. Perhaps you can help to protect one of our creatures. "Great" or small, they all need our help.

No comments: