Sunday, December 12, 2010

And She Grinchily Complained...

After all the talk of the impending snowstorm headed our way yesterday, I made a conscious decision to get snowed in at my sister's house. (Side note: This is Wisconsin. Wind does not constitute "snowstorm.") Anyway, I couldn't think of a better way to spend my Saturday night than to get my cozy pajamas on, read some books, and drink hot chocolate with my little peanut niece. It was also prime time for watching some classic Christmas specials. Frosty the Snowman was actually being aired last night so we started with that. However, Little Miss wasn't all that impressed with the jolliness of a gigantic snowman who never seems to know what day it is. Finally, she said, "Ginch?"

Luckily, my handy dandy interpreter (aka mother of said child) was present and said, "You want to watch The Grinch?"

I don't know who was more excited, my niece or me. "YES!" we both squealed simultaneously.

And here's where I get to speak passionately for a brief moment about yet another wonderful message conveyed by Dr. Suess. We don't need toys or decorations to feel the spirit of Christmas. We just need one another to feel the spirit in our hearts! Awwww!

But before we got to that squishy, melty point in the story, my sister and I had a lot of difficulty losing ourselves in the show, instead grinchily (did you know they actually use that word as an adjective in the story?) pointing out how the laws of physics would not allow for 90% of this story to take place.

I mean, it really gets out of hand when the sleigh, packed full of stolen Who toys is about to slide down the edge of a treacherous mountain peak. But first, it dangles there, balancing for a bit due to the...sturdy body of a two-pound canine? Really? This, of course, after the tiny wiener dog just pulled a 500 pound load of toys up the mountain to begin with.

My sister, who had been in and out of the living room throughout the whole show, heard me laugh and then said, "But you know what part really gets me? When the Grinch takes the antlers and fastens it on the dog's head with one tiny piece of thread. Thread? I mean, did you see the size of those antlers. Come on!"

Then in the next breath: "Of course, I apparently can get over the fact that there is a green man running around town with no pants but this...this thread/antler issue, I just can't get over."

We laughed as she plopped down in the recliner across from me. And then she said, "But don't you just wish you could be a kid again and just get lost in the story?"

I agreed and sighed. But then the Grinch's heart suddenly swelled, the Whos began to sing, and I watched my niece's big blue eyes widen as she got lost in it all.

And suddenly, so did I.

No comments: