Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Aiding the Farms

"All right'" my friend said as she set her beer down on the bar, taking a deep breath. "It's time to go to 'The Aid.'"

That would be Farm Aid. If you were a Midwestern kid in the 80s, you definitely knew all about Farm Aid. Willie Nelson and John Cougar (when he still added the Mellencamp)? Sure, it was a little dorky but we loved that our farmers were getting any attention at all. In fact, that's about the last time I heard much sympathy for those who feed us.

Anyway, my friend scored a few free tickets to this year's show so off we went to Miller Park the other night to rock out. Okay, so Jason Mraz isn't quite someone to rock out to but Norah Jones killed and John Cougar made me smile. (I will continue to pass on Neil Young. Sorry.) And Willie came out repeatedly to sing with each performer so when half of the group came out after Neil's set and bid us goodnight, we hightailed it out of there and hopped back onto our little shuttle bus.

But apparently we were a bit too quick.

The next day, we heard that we missed the finale with my favorite Mr. Lips (no, not Mick), Steven Tyler. Oh well. I'm not too broken up about it. I was just glad to throw some dollars into the Farm Aid donation box while continuing to feel good about going to my local farmer's market on a weekly basis.

But who am I kidding? Steven Tyler would have been cool.

No comments: